Search

Google

Monday, October 1, 2007

Oman - A first Glimpse

Sultanate of Oman is a Middle Eastern country, situated next to Dubai. I had to travel to this place for vacation, due to the fact that my dad is working here, and my mom is living with him. Though never fancied the idea of going to a dessert for vacation, I had to go there since it was the dearest request of my parents, who wanted to see me. Oh well that’s the background story, now lets see how Oman looked to me on my first glimpse.


I Flew from Tech Savvy, kiasu spirited Singapore to Colombo, from where my connecting flight to Muscat was scheduled by Sri Lankan Airlines. It was a wonderful experience flying from Singapore-Colombo on Airbus A340, with its wonderful In-flight entertainment and cool Lankan passengers returning home. But the Flight from Colombo-Muscat was utter disaster, with no In-Flight entertainment, and labourers travelling to Oman from Kerala filling the small Airbus A320.


But luckily the Grape juice (Cabernet Sauvignon) that I had, took me to sleep easily, and when I woke up, I felt I had time travelled back to the 80s. The flight didn’t move close to the Airport Terminal and halted in the middle of the tarmac area. Then only I realised that there was no aerobridge to connect the flight to the terminal, and saw a passenger bus approaching us. So climbed down to the tarmac and got into the passenger bus and went into the transit hall which looked like on of those old government hospitals in Sri Lanka. There was no order or no proper signage to follow, and I was strictly ordered by an Airport Police to join the Residents Visa line, although I told him 1000 times that I don’t have a Resident Visa, but a Family Visit Visa. Maybe it works like that here, and the staff at the counter gave me the chop on my passport and said “Thaankku”.


Came out, spotted my parents and after some warm greetings and some usual complaints, loaded the baggage on dad’s pick up, and rode home. After leaving the city I expected to see sand dunes with baking sun and Camels crossing roads. As the Seeb International Airport, where I landed was just outside the main City premises, didn’t get to see much of the city. The 55Km journey from the airport to my dads place was my first glimpse of Oman. The land outside was like small hills of rock and mud. But you see a lot these hills all around you. And you see some bushes by the roadside with small trees embedded on it here and there. And some of the hills were covered with a small layer of freshly grown grass, resulting from last night showers.



The Government of Oman is also quite interesting. The king (His Majesty Sultan Qaboos) is the head of the country. The government only allows Omanis (Local Arab Citizens) to buy property, land or even own a vehicle, in a country where foreign labour force is double the size of local population. So as a foreign worker you will be given a house, a vehicle which will be oiled by your company, and you water, electricity, gas, phone bills also will be settled. All you have to do is just do the work and earn all the money, while you only have to spend your money for Food. All this is given cuz you have to bear the dessert heat while working, and your only off day is Friday. And you are not allowed to kiss or flirt around with your girl in public. Heard that Dubai and Bahrain are the only other 2 Middle East cities where you are allowed to roam around freely. I was informed that Saudi Arabia is so strict that even foreign non-Muslim girls, entering the country are required to dress up like ninjas. Wierd ah???

2 comments:

Parthi said...

"And you are not allowed to kiss or flirt around with your girl in public"

fuck that shit...is that why they have 10 wives and 100 kids? all done udner the shade and the most explicit way possible?

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of exploitation of the labour force and even qulaified workers. There is a clear discrimination in all the places. every body wants the best but at the cost of expoitation and no say in the administrative matters.
All the development even in Dubai and abu dhabi is by the expatriate work force which have been brought and made to stay in very in human conditions without their families. What the skyscrapers speak is only the story of poverty of the neighbouring nations and the exploitation by these so called rich nations.